Victoria’s most distinguished female television presenters, Jo Hall, shares with Profile her favourite travel tips the next time you decide to head south.
- St Kilda should be at the top of your list on a trip to Melbourne. It has everything from the beach, amazing restaurants and bars, to a trendy shopping precinct. My perfect Sunday afternoon is enjoying the sunset at one of the beachfront restaurants such as Captain Baxter or Pontoon after wandering the Esplanade market.
- The Osborne is the perfect place to unwind with family and friends. Whether you’re after a meal or drinks with your girlfriends, there are a number of intimate spaces – from the cozy Lounge Bar to the restaurant. In the Summer my favourite spot to enjoy a cocktail is on the beautiful rooftop that overlooks Melbourne’s South Yarra.
- I love a good film so I am lucky to have Lido Cinema just around the corner. The Lido is a very old building, it used to be a dance hall, and recently underwent a refurbishment adding modern touches to its original features. With limited seats in each cinema, it makes you feel like you are lazing in your own lounge room. They also have a rooftop cinema which in summer is so lovely – champagne and movie under the stars.
- Camberwell Market is very popular among locals and visitors alike, and for good reason! It’s always fun to stroll through the stalls and find a vintage treasure. I have found some of my favourite pieces here – nothing is more satisfying than getting compliments on a bargain.
- If you are up for a road trip, my recommendation is Gippsland’s town of Yarram. I often visit my sister’s quaint cottage, it is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city. Only ten minutes’ drive from Yarram you can enjoy a picnic or fresh fish and chips at Port Albert, one of Victoria’s oldest sea ports. And the beautiful wilderness of Wilson’s Promontory is not far away either.